Architects and Interior Designers possess incredible leverage to address the impacts of Climate Change. Their designs can decarbonize the built environment and help communities progress towards adaptability and a more resilient future! Similarly, employment prospects in Architecture and Interior Design throughout the world and specifically within the Danube Region are increasingly better for people fluent in climate change mitigation and carbon negative design strategies.
As a result of the rapidly growing market for green building sector certifications and code compliance documentation, educational resources must adapt to meet the needs of the marketplace and to keep pace with these new sustainable technologies and advancements.
Through a unique educational partnership between College of the Canyons in California & Spiru Haret University, an online certificate program will be offered starting this Fall for motivated students & professionals pursuing a career in Sustainable Design & Development.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- The course provides the green collar workforce with a practical training
- The certificate is most applicable to architectural practices, interior design, construction technology, building management, construction management, building inspection, landscape architecture and planning, as well as related fields with an economic life-cycle approach to the built environment.
CERTIFICATE STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOME
Students will be able to possess technical knowledge of green building design and construction in order to meet the requirements for accreditation testing.
You can make a difference by learning how Climate Change impacts the built environment and establishing your career as a LEED Green Associate professional who develops effective solutions to adapt communities for Climate Change.
Sustainable Design and Development Program address the following environmental issues:
- Emphasis on fundamental concepts of sustainable development and environmental design
- Learning how to use the computer as a means for preparing architectural drawings and graphic communication
- Understanding how to evaluate and apply cutting edge principles and practices to the design of architectural and interior design projects which they can apply in your careers
- Prepares students for the LEED Green Associate exam
- guiding those projects through the LEED Rating System certification process
- Associate credential as well as interpreting and applying building codes in response to the impacts of Climate Change
- Materials and methods of constructing resilient buildings that are adaptable and have little or no carbon footprint
- Selecting and specifying sustainable building materials appropriate to their region
- Applying project management practices and processes used in the construction of carbon negative building projects that are resilient and attractive.
LEVEL 1: Fall of 2021
- ARCJT-200A / Sustainable Development & Environment Design
- ARCHT-160 / 2-D CAD for Architecture & Interior Design
LEVEL 2: Spring 2022
- ARCHT-085 through 095 / LEED Green Associate courses
- ARCHT-180 / Building Codes and Zoning
LEVEL 3: Fall 2022
- ARCHT-140 / Materials & Methods of Construction
- CONST-102 / Construction Management Principles
ABOUT LEED GREEN
Sustainably designed (Green) buildings continue to be the fastest-growing sector of the construction industry in the United States.
This growth can be attributed, in part, to third-party voluntary certification systems such as LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), which have gained tremendous momentum over the past decade.
LEED certification is a globally recognized symbol of sustainability achievement and leadership, being the most used evaluation system of green buildings in the world.
LEED professional accreditation as “demonstrate current knowledge of green building technologies, best practices” and the LEED rating system, to assure the holder’s competency as one of “the most qualified, educated, and influential green building professionals in the marketplace.”
ABOUT COLLEGE OF THE CANYONS
College of the Canyons is part of the California Community College system of 116 colleges serving more than 2.1 million students. The College participates in several innovative partnerships that have redefined the traditional role of community colleges. It collaborates with nearly every social service agency in the community, school districts, city of Santa Clarita, chamber of commerce and many local businesses. The College of the Canyons allows students to earn bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees from a collection of public and private universities, improving access to education by eliminating the need for residents to commute long distances to obtain advanced degrees. Opened in 1969, the college has fostered a reputation for innovation, excellence, partnerships, and student success during its service to the community.
WHERE? HOW? WHEN?
- The Course will start on October 2021
- 1 Year Duration – the course will run online form
- The workshop will be held in English
- The course is subject to a minimum 15 of enrolled students and will only take place if this number is reached.
- To confirm your participation, click the Registration Form